Subject: Re: [Leica] US Customs duty help needed
From: "William" <ohlen@sierratel.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 18:02:15 -0800

Steve LeHuray writes:
> The less information the better to avoid hasseles. Have it sent Express
Mail
> Service (EMS) and ask the sender to declare the package as a 'Gift, Used
> Camera, value $95.'

I certainly agree that sending EMS to the US is best.  The sender (dealer)
has the responsibility of preparing the customs declaration.  I always state
to the dealer that the equipment is for my personal use.  I have always had
the price I paid declared (else you cannot have it insured for the real
value).  Custom clearance has been 18 - 24 hours.  Values have typically
been over $500.  I have never been charged duty.  I wouldn't consider using
one of the private express services if EMS is available.

Regards, Bill