Subject: [Leica] Re: lens scratch
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 09:57:08 EST

see what happens when you discuss hassy equipment on the LUG? Satan gets it.

I would try the lens out before doing anything drastic like spending $1000 on
a rear element transplant (bekuz you know it will have to include a shutter
service -- a repair person would insist just out of self defense).

The scratch may look ugly, but actually won't block off all that much light
and, being part of the glass, won't disrupt the image formation all that
much.  It will be more of an addition to the diaphram than an image damager.
My brothr had a nikon 24mm lens with a rear element that looked as if someone
had taken an ice pick to it, but it still made great images.

Someone, discussing chips in a nikon lens I have, even suggested putting
black into the scratch to keep it from flaring.

But in any event, I know well that sick feeling in the pit of the stomach
when you see something like that. But it may not be as bad as you fear. If
the lens is as old as you say, it is more user than anything else so this
will just add to its character.

and, dare one say, improve the bokeh?

charles trentelman
ogden