Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: No X-Rays
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 19:46:23 -0800

Guys, this x-ray thing isn't as bad as some think it is, that is the hand check
scanners, as I've been through them many times with the same film pre and post
exposed and nothing ever appeared out of sorts on the processed film. Yep there
have been all kinds of  "reports by photographers" saying their film was ruined
by the tinniest amount of a one check through etc. And every time I hear one of
them I just chalk-up a hundred times I've gone through airports the world over
and never had a problem.

The X-ray killer today is the "checked baggage" scanners as they will basically
from all reports just fry your film, period!

It still comes down to how you approach the check in security location, by the
time you reach the gate have your film out of the shoulder bag and in clear zip
lock plastic freezer bags,  look pleasant and don't be the least bit cocky or
swagger about doing this.

Just place the film bags right on top of the little change boxes as though you
completely expect them to be passed over without going through the scanner.
99.9999999% of the time your film will be passed through to you after you walk
through the metal detector. The other.00000001% you might have to have a smiling
faced talk with someone to avoid the scanning.

Then there are the other occasions where, even  if  JC himself came down off the
cross, it isn't going to keep your film from going through. So let it go, say a
Hail Mary or whatever, and the chances are 99.99999999 100% your film is going
to be just fine!

ted Grant

Replies: Reply from Carol Satterfield <ccsat@istate.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: No X-Rays)