Subject: Re: [Leica] Alternative shades
From: "Terence and Patricia" <terpat@magix.com.sg>
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2001 02:50:00 +0800

Dan,

if you can't find the shade used, perhaps it's possible to order the new
shade meant for the 35/2 ASPH. It's practically the same, except that the
one for the ASPH can take the matching flat rubber cap (sorry I don't have
the part nos.) I think, however, that you'd have to order the rubber cap
separately as it has its own part number. Maybe Joseph can shed more light
on the matter....

An alternative is to use the circular 12504 hood which has apparently
re-appeared as a 'current' Leica item to match the 35/2 ASPH LTM lenses
which had been released in limited numbers.

Comparing the 2 hoods, the square hood fits quite snugly and, IMO, makes the
lens a neat compact unit. Being made of plastic makes me a little insecure
about its longevity, because you can see the hood flex each time you press
the tabs to mount / dismount the hood although there is a metal rim to
reinforce it.

The 12054 though metallic, looks a little more fragile. I like it more on
the old 35/1.4 pre-ASPH.

Personally, I think either hood will be okay in terms of what they are
designed to do, i.e. shade the front element. In terms of handling, the
square hood win hands down for me; I hardly even take it off the lens,
whereas I have to take the 12054 off each time I need to cap the lens. Even
without the rubber cap, I just slip the camera into the bag - no worries.

Best wishes,
Terence Tan