Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V18 #296
From: KE7GMx@cs.com
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:18:06 EST

Hello Group: I have recently begun collecting some of the Leica M-6 (T) and
(T) lenses. I think they are beautiful and believe Dr. Yao when he says that
they are a superior group of products because of the use of titanium
materials in the manufacture of them. I have gone back in the archives and a
recurring comment is that the "titanium" is only a finish and does not
indicate that the manufacture of the product is from titanium metal in place
of zinc, aluminum, brass, stainless steel or whatever. In the case of the (T)
lenses, I can believe this because the lenses are heavier than the black and
about equal to the silver (chrome) products. Titanium appears to be about the
same weight as stainless steel and almost twice as heavy as aluminum -
exactly twice the eight of magnesium. It is quite a bit lighter than brass. I
has remarkable strength and exceptional resistance to corrosion and
oxidation. I have not been able find out whether it exists as a reasonable
finish for other metals such as chromium, zinc, copper, gold, silver, etc. I
have a pivot in my knee (a rebuild job) and staples in my colon that are made
of 'pure' titanium because that metal does not react to base, acids, time or,
I guess, anything else? Can anyone answer the question as to whether the (T)
cameras are actually produced from the solid metal Ti  or are only finished
with the material? Over the years, it would appear (from the length of the
archives) that the subject is a popular one! Any new light to be shed on the
subject by the LUG experts? Regards, Bill

Replies: Reply from Jesse Hellman <hellman@home.com> (Re: [Leica] Titanium M6s)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] titanium)