Subject: Re: [Leica] print pricing
From: MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2001 17:33:21 -0500

At 04:16 PM 1/3/01 -0500, Wilber Jeffcoat wrote:
>Beauty as well as quality is in the Eye of the Beholder. There is more to
>this business than , click, click , click. Some folks think the grass is
>always greener---------. Anyway there is more to this than the cost of the
>film and paper and chemicals/ink.

Having been on the other side of the fence as a working pro in the past,
(and now being one of those annoying 'weekend warriors' with an insanely
low overhead that are so reviled by many 'working pros') I understand well
the economic realities of overhead. I wasn't arguing that anyone should
charge one <your smallest currency amount here> less than exactly what they
feel that their work is worth to their market. Actually, being able to
price myself against folks who have a high overhead keeps me working just
about every weekend in the spring, summer and fall and on occasion in the
winter. I hope that those 'working pros' continue to make all that they can
get until long after I can't see to focus my M5 any longer.

>Can we please not start bashing the working pro's of the world

I'm not bashing working pro's for charging whatever they can get for their
work. More power to them. Caveat Emptor. What I tried to say, (and
evidently didn't say well) is that it is a fallacy to believe and unethical
to promote the belief that just because a print costs a lot of money that
it is of a higher quality (or more beautiful) than a print with a "Jr.High
Bake Sale" cost. If I am bashing anyone, it would be those individuals who
promote such a line of thought the better to secure their niche.

Art should not be judged by it's price tag, but by whether it moves you in
a way that you want to be moved. If you want to pay (and are able) what it
costs, great, if not, admire it in the gallery until it is sold or even
better: grab the camera of your choice, go forth and make your own art.
Like cutting one's own wood for heat, creating your own Art warms you at
least twice. :)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://GoodPhotos.com