Subject: Re: [Leica] Print pricing and a Print Swap
From: ken@iisaka.org
Date: 3 Jan 2001 14:51:06 -0800

On Wed, 03 January 2001, "Frank Filippone" wrote:
> I think the question here was... what is full price?  I spend about 3-4
> hours creating and mounting a single 11x14 silver print.  If I were full
> time, charging $50 per hour, that would have cost $200 in labor.  Adding
> paper etc of $5 is obviously inconsequential....Should I make 20x24 prints
> since they don;t cost more hours and only marginal extra material costs to
> create and I can GET MORE $$$?

I think larger prints deserve to be charged more because the negatives must be better to withstand the enlargement.  When I see lovely, but slightly out-of-focus or blurred image on the negative, I print it small.  Some images work very well in small prints (2"x3" for example) mounted on a much larger (say 8x10) board anyway.  I've only felt compelled to make prints larger than 8x10 if and only if the negative successfully captured the level of detail that can be studied in a large print.  I don't think I've ever made any prints larger than 11x14" from a 35mm negative.

> Give it away? well, I am not so sure that is  a good approach... EVERYONE
> wants a freebie.  I like the idea of trading..... my 1 for your 1.  No
> scales, no egos, just pure enjoyment.
>
> There are those out in Leica land that would like to get a gallery going...
> why not a swap gallery?  My 1 for your 1.  Anyone game?

Perhaps we can do this on our BALUG meeting.  Perhaps not this weekend, though...  I haven't worked in my darkroom in months...