Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Linux (was: Help. Mac TCP Locked???)
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:02:44 -0500

Adam Bridge jotted down the following:

> If you really need industrial strength C++ you'll probably be disappointed in
> the native compilers for MacOS X. The Metrowerks compilers, however, will work
> with the production release I believe. The native tool for MacOS X is
> Objective-C. I believe there is a C++ compiler on the developer tools
> distribution but I recall it's not that great....AND you don't program easily
> to the GUI using C++.

Bummer.  I currently use Metrowerks on Mac OS 9, but their insistance on
organizing everything in projects is a pain in the rear when you just want
to quickly test out some idea in a little program.  Not to mention the lack
of proper stdio support (yeah -- I know SIOUX provides a wrapper, but that's
such a kludge).

I thought that Mac OS X being BSD would allow GNU C++ to be run on that
machine?  Maybe that isn't "industrial strength", but I'm sure that it'll do
everything I need it to.

As for the GUI -- I don't need native GUI support, other than as a wrapper.
I'm using plib to do GUI stuff in GLUT -- but mostly I'm just rendering 3D
stuff.

I don't need industrial strength 3D modellers, I just wanted to be able to
run the AC3D modeller under Linux, since it produces AC3D geometry files
that plib easily reads -- I'm having problems getting it to accept the DXF
and OBJ files I output from Ray Dream Studio.

I'll probably just soldier on in Mac OS... ;(

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |             Vis tecum sit.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |