Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm recommendations?
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 10:12:08 -0500

Douglas Cooper jotted down the following:

> I'm sure this is old territory, but I have yet to look seriously into 90mm
> Leica lenses.  Now that I'm inseparable from my M3, I thought I'd try out
> that frameline.  Which 90 is considered to have the nicest balance between
> sharpness and bokeh?  And are any a bargain, like my DR Summicron?

The 1960's Summicron is heavy, but wide open has some of the most gorgeous
bokeh I've ever seen.  A superb portrait lens.  Stopped down it's as sharp
as you could want.  And they're cheap -- having been pushed down in price
even more by the introduction of the 90 APO, which made the 1980s Summi
cheaper.

The other bargain is the skinny Tele-Elmarit.  Great travel lens, small,
compact, sharp when stopped down, softer wide open but very nice bokeh.  You
loose a stop, but you gain an E39 filter thread, which makes the 25mm f/4
Skopar, 35mm f/2 'cron, 50mm f/2 'cron and 90mm f/2.8 TE (all use the E39
filter thread) quite possibly the most superb travel outfit you could
imagine (added to this is that the 50mm and 35mm can share the same lens
hood and that the 90 and 50/35 lens hoods can share the same cap).

M.

- --
Martin Howard                | It never ceases to amaze me how people con-
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU  | sistently pay more attention to *how* you
email: howard.390@osu.edu    | say something, than *what* you say.  (Anon)

Replies: Reply from Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca> (Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm recommendations?)