Subject: RE: [Leica] Crisp looking images
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:06:58 -0000

I've no experience with the 40mm F2.8 Apo Companon, but I'd expect it to be
more like the Apo Companon reputation than the Focotar, but that's in
assuming that the 'Leica' lens might not be manufactured by Schneider but
by Leica themselves, and that if they were the same/similar then surely
Leica would have used the 'Apo' sales point, eh?

I'd look for a dealer who might let you try one out. Do be aware that the
small differnces in nominal focal length design may well be sufficient to
negate the autofocus if say, the Leitz Focotar is really 42mm and the
Schneider really 38mm (for example). There would have to be some leeway in
the autofocus camming for individual unit variance but that might stretch
it too far. Of course, they could well be identical 40mm designs.

best of searching,
Jem