Subject: RE: [Leica] 90mm recommendations
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:06:54 -0000

Canon made a couple of good longish lenses,
the last 100mm f3.5 and the 100mm f2, were both only available in black.
They also made 85mm lenses but none of those measured up to reputations of
these two.
The 100mm F2 was supposed to be the equal of the early 60s Summicrons. I've
had both and see no real difference but then I tend to use mainly 400 ASA
b/w film. I saw an early 90/2 recently for 190 UKP.

The mechanical quality of the 'Russian' lenses is not an issue. I've had
Leica lenses that have been as bad individually as some those from behind
the iron curtain. Deterioration is not sudden or problematic.

Unfortunately there's no guarentee of a good lens, either from 'Russia' or
even Wetzlar. I bought a 100 F4 macro Elamr this last week and it's a dog.
The glass looks fine but pictures are grey, flarey and I only hope a lens
overhaul will bring it back into legendary Leica status. Conversely the
Pasoptik 21mm lens I also acquired is stellar!

Money back deals are almost always offered on gear, the more you look, the
more you'll know what you're looking for.

Jem