Subject: Re: [Leica] [LEICA] Tolerance towards us neophytes, please
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Jan 2001 16:05:28 -0800

Hi Guys & Gals,

The oft asked questions do at times seem like a pain in the butt, however,
before anyone jumps on a newbie or oldie for asking a question that the answer
may well be in the archives, there are some folks who "don't know about the
archives nor know how to get to it."   Newbies the benefit of the doubt, and I
bet some oldies can't crack into the archives without going to look it up. ;-)

Be that as it may, it still doesn't give anyone the right to treat another in
disdain simply because they asked a question that some of us have heard several
times, nay several thousand times, if you've been playing photographer for 50
years. It would seem reasonable the person asking the question doesn't want to
appear stupid in asking and they're not stupid, just trying to learn. But
sometimes the gruff, "dummy connotation" makes them feel that way.  Not
necessary at all, as if we think about it for even a small moment and ask
ourselves, "did I not ask that question at onetime? And how was I treated in
getting the answer?"

Made to look like some dumb ass or did someone give me a thoughtful answer and
send me on my way wiser and feeling good about photography because I learned
one more little item at being a photographer.

I know what it's like to be treated lower than a dumb ass by another
photographer for asking a simple question, a pro at that!  Yes, if I'd read
more about exposure metering and camera setting I probably wouldn't have had to
ask the question. But that was not the case and I asked, what for me was a very
difficult moment, ask a professional photographer a question as I held them in
awe. Unfortunately his response?

Is unprintable, but what I do remember quite vividly is, he was an assh....e!
And at that moment I swore an oath to myself that if I ever moved up the ranks
of photography, I'd never deny anyone a hand up along the way to be a better
photographer. Dang, it just comes down to "treat other folks like you'd like to
be treated yourself!"  Is that so difficult ?   It's KISS simple!

So anyone, everyone, new or old ask the questions as there isn't any question
you can ask that can't be answered within this crew. And yep being the human
beings we are, once in awhile we "might seem grumpy" in our answer, but please
take no offense and maybe, just maybe bear with us as we may have had a bad
day.

OK now ask your questions! ;-)

ted Grant
islandnet.com/~tedgrant