Subject: Re: [Leica] Rules + new HUMAN TRAFFIC images (kind of) WASDogme95 etc
From: S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 07:25:11 -0800

Thanks Bill. The role of tradition and past accomplishments in a craft
can never be underscored enough. I originally started with the intention
of trying to replicate the shooting style of our turn of the century
photographers. As I progressed with the essay, about 90+ portraits to
date, I came to realize that there is a visual syntax  which we all seem
to share in. The documentary mannerism of the past is constantly with
us, I feel, through the individuals who are still alive, the books, or
works, of those before them, and the tools they used. In particular the
tools, or instruments, that have survived are the closest we come to
having an individual connection with that past. I'm sure that when we
bring that leica, contax, rollei to our eyes that there isn't one among
us who hasn't thought at one of those moments of a past connection.
The welder wearing the mandil, is part of a project called
"apronstrings." I tried shooting 300 portraits over less than a year's
time with no budget. I managed to do 120, 90% handheld, before getting
tapped out. I don't know yet if I will return to it.
I had submitted a piece on Ironworkers retrofitting the longest
suspension bridge in Las Angeles, which was shoot with my leicas, with a
24mm, 35mm, and a 90mm. It didn't make the final cut. I guess leica
negs, as good as they are, couldn't match 4x5's monumentalism.

Best
Slobodan Dimitrov

Message from S Dimitrov <sld@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Rules + new HUMAN TRAFFIC images (kind of) WASDogme95 etc)
Message from "Bill Harting" <wharting@adelphia.net> (Re: [Leica] Rules + new HUMAN TRAFFIC images (kind of) WASDogme95 etc)