Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Week 1 is Up
From: MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 12:47:12 -0500

At 05:04 AM 1/6/01 -0800, Brougham wrote:
>My view is that these are personal projects.  It's not a contest to
>see who can get the best photo of the week.  It's only a contest
>within yourself.
>
>Do whatever makes you comfortable.  It's art.  Or it's not.
>Whichever.

Thanks for the insight. Of course it's not a contest, I was simply curious
what most LUGgers thought about it. As of posting the wk1 image, I had
pretty much decided that I will limit my digital manipulations to such
elements as contrast and colour. Actual composition I will do in camera and
will live with the results acceptable or otherwise for this project.

>Both.  Just for <insert diety of choice>'s sake, just
>don't use the wrong kind of tape on you camera.

Is 1980 vintage USArmy issue "Masking Tape, Black, Photo, Self Adhesive,
1/2inch" ok? If I ever need to be super sneaky, that's what I will use to
cover the red dot that I placed on my previously undotted M5. :)

>Of course, it's Saturday morning as I write this, and I've yet to
>shoot any film this week.  I've got to get my butt in gear, because I
>thought I'd try this, too.  I'm uninspired this morning, however.

The deadline is half the fun. Haven't really had a photographic deadline
for many years. Now as it approaches it kind of feels like that rock in the
stomach that not having my homework done used to feel like in school. (It
became one of those feelings that I was more used to than not.) I guess my
life didn't have enough stress in it. Thanks again Kyle.

>Outside is a mess.  We're getting the first above-freezing temps in a
>month, and the place is turning into an ugly mess.  (During the month
>of December, we had 7 hours above 32 F, according to the news.)

Just the opposite here....been snowing steadily since yesterday afternoon.
It's pretty but I don't want too many images in the snow. I've done it to
death in the past....I need to do more people photos that aren't weddings.
I really suck at anything approaching 'street photos' so I might take a
hint from Slobodan's great LAWeekly photos and photograph "the people in my
neighborhood" at work.

>I think my life must just be boring compared to Kyle's.  Either that,
>or I put my money into a lens instead of beer and concert tickets, and
>that's the difference!

The Goth pits in the 'hood of Philly look like those great places best to
be explored through Kyle's images or from FAR above it all and safe from an
overstuffed leather chair at the Pyramid Club:
http://www.goodphotos.com/images/PhillyAtNight.jpg (though I'm sure that
Kyle could find a multi-pierced and inked vinyl clad goth chick to look
morose on film even in those vaulted halls of financial privilege.) ;)

Naw...Give me 8 am daylit shadows of Philly'sCenter City Financial district
a few times a year....clogging my veins with sausage and cheese breakfast
sandwiches from the corner vendors and a $4 "Grande" (medium?) Mochachino
half caff while pretending to be a Yuppie without a cell phone (which
always gives me away) for two or three days at a stretch is excitement
enough to last this backwoods kid all year long thanks.
:)

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube