Subject: [Leica] RE: Cosina still at it
From: "David Kieltyka" <daverk@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 18:03:04 -0500

Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com> wrote (edited):

> I have to ask this. Since we are all Leica aficionados, and
> love the look and feel of real Leica equipment and the
> unquestioned superior results, why in hell would someone
> want to buy a brand-x version of something that Leica has
> already done so masterfully?

Well, in my case the non-Leica LTM lenses I own mostly fill in focal lengths
I wouldn't bother with if Leica were my only option. My 21mm lens is a
Kobalux, and while it may be outperformed by the Leica ASPH (I know the
Leica has to be an amazing lens 'cuz the Kobalux is damn good) I don't use a
21 enough to justify the extra cost. It's not that I can't afford the Leica
but rather that I insist my purchases meet or exceed my chosen
value-for-dollar threshold. And I can use the Kobalux with my IIIf too. For
the same reasons my 75mm lens is a Cosina Voigtländer and my 135mm is an old
Nikkor. But when it comes to the focal lengths I use most often–35, 50, 90–I
go with Leica. The Summicrons and Summiluxes, along with a nod to my
treasured 50mm Elmar, are without question the reason why Leica Ms are my
cameras of choice.

- -Dave-
Redford, Michigan