Subject: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Christopher Hoover <hoovercd@pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2001 20:52:16 -0800

Someone was recently getting itchy for an R8 digital back or D30 adaptor.
One point to consider before moving exclusively to digital is long-term
storage. The latest Nikon slide scanner* can save 130 MB images from a 35mm
scan. That eats up lots of HD space, and will keep your CD-RW busy as well.

For the members who are heavily into digital, how do you manage your media?
Does anyone still use magneto-optical media these days? Is that still the
most archival removable media? I think current CD-RW media doesn't provide
much more than a few years of safety for your digital images. I'm excited
about the digital revolution, but have to admit that I'm happy not to have
to worry too much about magnetic rays affecting my old K64 slides!

Thanks,
Chris Hoover
San Diego, CA

*The new Nikon Super CoolScan arrives in March at about $1700: the Super
CoolScan 4000 ED scans at 4000 dpi, 4.2 dmax! Comes with FireWire card too.
Can be used with strip or even roll film (with extra adaptor). Specs look
great, even if I'm a bit suspicious of 4.2 outside of drum scans...
http://64.77.49.5/usa_product/productd6d1.html