Subject: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 14:00:51 -0700

The current thread concerning the archival storge of digital images brings
up another question:

Which of the file formats currently available for the hobbyist (GIF, JPG,
TIFF, BMP, etc) offers the greatest image quality and color rendition with
the least loss of information?  I am making an assumption that stored file
size isn't an issue, at least in regard to the answer to this question.

For instance, I have been told that JPEG images, if uncompressed for
editing and then recompressed, will lose information, but I've also heard
that there is such a thing as a JPEG algorithm that doesn't lose
information when uncompressed/recompressed.

I know practically nothing about this as you can probably guess, so any
information the members can provide will be helpful.  Also, if anyone can
direct me to one or more web sites or documents that can provide me with
enlightenment I will be grateful.

TIA

Dave Richards
Littleton, Colorado, USA