Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 15:36:55 -0600

>GIF, JPG, TIFF, BMP, etc
Of these 4 only TIFF is lossless. I would not use any of the others which
all have problems such as reduced color gamut (range of colors they can
contain) or other losses. I'm using native Photoshop format (.psd) RGB
for photos in color or greyscale except for 4 color separations for
printing then I use TIFF because it can be imported directly into page
layout programs. Most of my digital camera stuff is this way (CMYK TIFF)
then archived that way after the job is done.

There is also the issue of color spaces within Photoshop (assuming thats
what you use) and the tagging of that space into image files. The biggest
gamut color space is best for photos.

Some people even save their 12 or 16 bit scans since this gives more to
work with later if needed.  I consider my 8 bit files to be final
finished work, so thats what I archive. Either way is good.

And if we shot on film we can keep that saved as well!

Anyway you can't go wrong with TIFF and a big color space.

Henry Ambrose