Subject: [Leica] Re: Digital Image File Formats
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 21:18:12 -0800

JPEG is a compressed format. Uncompressing and recompressing will indeed
change bits and pieces of your photograph. TIFF is a raw file format. RAW
output is available on the new Canon PowerShot G1. Perhaps other consumer
cameras as well but this one is the only one I know about. The RAW file
from the G1 gives you an archive of the image that you can always go back
to in order to start over with all of the photo data.

Jim

ps... Try www.peimag.com for good info

Message from Christopher Hoover <hoovercd@pacbell.net> ([Leica] OT: Archival of digital images)