Subject: Re: [Leica] Spam, virtual and real [Was: Herbal V]
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 18:53:26 -0800 (PST)

Guy Bennett wrote:

> I've tried asking to be removed from lists like this one when the
spammer says
> that one can be removed from the list upon request, but that doesn't
seem to
> work.

Besides being a LUG member, I am also a member of the Olympus mailing
list. While the LUG has managed to remain free from spam (apart from
the Herbal V crap), the Olympus list is frequently spammed. Most of it
is of the get-rich-quick type: "Earn $10,000 a month in your spare
time! Only the first 100 responders will benefit from this unique
opportunity! You MUST accept this offer immediately! This offer will
not be repeated!" etc.

Spam has become a frequent phenomenon on that list and attracts
sarcastic and witty postings from list members. However, it seems that
all exhortations to reply to the spammer, whether to be removed from
his list or otherwise, are steadfastly ignored. The spammers rarely
persist. I think they're just fishing and to ignore them seems to be
the best policy.

Regards,

=====
Ray