Subject: Re: [Leica] Y2 Filter
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 17:18:19 -0800

AA discussed this in The Negative and Examples.  Outdoors, shadows are
illuminated by indirect, diffuse light from the atmosphere, being more blue.
That is why yellow, and more dramatically orange and red, filters darken
shadows for B&W.  Same reason shadows can have a bluish cast in color
transparencies, particularly in snow scenes.  As I recall, he had an example
of a picture of red sandstone canyon walls, for which he said that he used
an orange filter to try to lower the tone of the rock, but this overly
darkened the shadows, and he wished he had used a yellow filter.  He stated
that, he had come to the opinion that you don't need anything stronger than
a minus blue, Y-15, filter for landscape photograhy, unless you are trying
for a special effect, such as a nighttime look.

Tom Schofield

Message from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Y2 Filter)
Message from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Y2 Filter)
Message from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Y2 Filter)