Subject: Re: [Leica] Clarification of The Incarnation and a Short Rebuke
From: Doug Herr <merlin@flyingemu.com>
Date: 25 Jan 2001 08:36:48 -0800

On Thu, 25 January 2001, John Collier wrote:

> The first Apple MacIntosh had 128 K RAM with a single
> 400K 31/2" floppy.  Power users added an external floppy
> to reduce the amount of disk swapping.  On one 400K
> floppy I could fit the OS, MacWrite and a 20 page
> document.

written in assembly language.

<SNIP>

> Now when I toss an icon away, it is 193K!! What is up
> with you programmers? 193K for an icon!

Current software is written in high-level languages.  Typically when I convert a C program to assembly language I can cut the program size by 2/3 and increase the speed of execution by a factor of 10.  Bloatware is easy to write and the RAM and MHz required to run it have become so cheap that few people care that the software is sloppy.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!