Subject: [Leica] funerals
From: Lee Bacchus <lbacchus@home.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 11:49:24 -0800

I'm thinking maybe there's some weird mojo associated with shooting
funerals. Last week I attended the memorial of a newspaper colleague, Jim
Coleman, an 89-year-old sportswriter who was something of a legend in Canada
(he won the Order of Canada years ago). I brought along my M6 and after the
service saw a visage to behold: Mean Gene Kiniski, now 80 but once the
former pro wrestling champion of the world, I believe. This guy's face was
like a cross between a potato and a fruit leather. He consented to a quick
pic outside the church and I fired away point blank with my 'cron. Light was
good, background unbusy. A classic, I thought. Later, while smugly unwinding
the T-Max ‹ a too-fast slackening of the film. Devastation! The horror! The
film had never engaged the sprocket.
Needless to say I now always check my rewind knob.
And a quick not about shooting births. I never did with my three kids, but I
once brought a totally inappropriate tool (a Rolleiflex TLR) while visiting
my 97-year-old grandmother in her dimly lit nursing home. As she was into
her final weeks I felt some moral queasiness about the whole thing but shot
anyway. The result
(http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=150404&size=lg )was something a
bit spooky and for sure it does not hang on my wall.
Lee Bacchus
Vancouver

Replies: Reply from firkin@netconnect.com.au ([Leica] Re: funerals)