Subject: [Leica] PAW ‹ Week 5
From: Lee Bacchus <lbacchus@home.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2001 14:11:24 -0800

Further on the topic of what makes a good photo, visual or intellectual (a
dichotomy like mind & body I don't think exists), my journalistic background
tells me to always look for  "the story." And I'm not talking about
documentary shooting or photojournalism, but rather the depiction of a
mystery or a revelation that perhaps can't be revealed in words. Otherwise,
why not just write about it. I see this instinct more in Kertesz than HBC,
who I think often let the story take a backseat to his incredible technical
virtuosity. A picture has to be about something, and too often these days
IMHO it seems to be about the photographer or his camera.
Anyway, I'll put down my pipe, shed my smoking jacket and cravat and submit
this week's PAW for your consideration. It won't be to everyone's taste, and
if there's a story behind this thing found abandoned in a warehouse alley,
I've yet to figure it out.
http://www.photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=152794&size=lg
Lee Bacchus
Vancouver