Subject: Re: [Leica] Nasty Tillies! I hates'em. I hates'em all!*
From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 2001 13:17:15 -0700

Your point is well taken, but reread the original post.  It wasn't about
dealing with spoiled city snobs, people who expect to be pampered and
handled tenderly.  It was about making judgements based on a person's
attire or equipage without taking the time to see how they handle themselves.

If someone doesn't like me I can live with that.  I expect that I will
offend a certain percentage of the people I meet.  That's life.  But people
who judge me simply because I wear a Tilley hat (I do) or Mephisto shoes (I
don't) or fish with a Sage or photograph with a Leica aren't meeting me,
they are meeting my accouterments.  That makes them even shallower than
they expect me to be.

>Unfortunately, not everyone who wears a Tilley hat, perhaps even few who
>wear a Tilley hat,  is a particularly savvy outdoorsperson. People have
>dreams about that great outdoor trip where they hunt/fish/hike and commune
>with nature. The realities of rain, insects, uncomfortable bedding, toilets
>at the end of a shovel, et al, comes as a bit of a shock and often makes
>them less than wonderful company. And, as these fly-in trips are very
>expensive to say the least, a certain customer type, who is perhaps used to
>having underlings to boss around and complain to, may be more prevalent than
>ourselves, with our assuredly sunny dispositions. So please cut the hard
>working independent bush pilot a break....and do not put on the Tilley until
>they have taken off.
>
>John Collier
>
>> From: "Dave Richards" <dprichards@qwest.net>
>>
>>> I've witnessed bush pilots in northern Alberta and BC scorning anyone
>>> wearing a Tilley hat. They see them coming from a quarter-mile away and
the
>>> sparks flying from the abuse under their breath is enough to ignite a
>>> rocket.
>>
>> So who's the bigger asshole, the person wearing the Tilley or the bush
>> pilot judging the person by what he/she wears, rather than by the things
>> that count?  If I ever run into one of these pilots I hope he has the lack
>> of class to tell me what he thinks to my face, so I'll know not to fly with
>> him.

Dave Richards
Littleton, Colorado, USA
dprichards@qwest.net