Subject: Re: [Leica] OT -fear of change/ how to spell 'lens'
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 10:01:54 -0800

Scott Stewart wrote:

 > Do we indulge ourselves with outdated, hard to use Leica equipment, and
miss
> out on opportunities for more creative images, because we are afraid that
if
> it is easier, photography as an art and craft is somehow lessened in
> importance?<<<<<<,,

Gee Scott
Do I read you don't like using an outdated Leica M ?  I've never found them
to be outdated and hard to use, nor have I missed out on any opportunites
due to using them. Could one consider that maybe you the user, " is
outdated" rather than the camera in this situation?

Nor have I considered or thought that using an auto everything camera
lessens the craft of photography. After all it's merely a tool, as is the M,
or any camera capturing the image and has nothing to do with lessening
anything of value.

> Is use of Leica equipment a form of visual conceit, a belief that somehow
the
> equipment will provide a certain amount of legitimacy to images that are
otherwise useless?<<

I suppose with some people that's a possibility, however, it's never crossed
my mind as my aim as a photographer is to always use the best equipment
suited to my type and style of picture taking in the locations I prefer to
work.

And Leica has all the attributes to help make me successful in that goal.
And using a Leica has never given any legitimacy to my pictures, as all the
camera does is record what I see. Therefore, it doesn't matter what whiz
bang camera happens to be in my hands at the time!

If I were to only see crap images the Leica would record crap images,  no
differently than any other camera. However, if one sees exciting and
rewarding events, then the camera is going to record them! As long as the
photographer has remembered to put film in the camera.

No there isn't any conceit in the world that is going to make a picture
better due to the camera used, possibly in the imagination of some shooters
they may think so. If one sees crap they are going to record crap, Leica or
no! Or whatever black box!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant