Subject: Re: [Leica] Metering question
From: "Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 11:39:01 -0600

Mike,

>I was reading the "Leica Compendium" by Jonathan Eastland and I came across
>this:  "...the photographer can accurately measure very small areas of the
>object to be photographed using the preselector lever."  He goes on to
>state, "By flicking the preselector lever to bring up the 90mm bright-line

[snip]

>How can this be?   I thought the metered area was determined by the lens
>attached, mechanically.  If the above is true, how would the camera know how
>much area to meter since the bright-line frames are shared by two focal
>lengths (the 90mm and the 28mm share the same bright-lines)?

You have this right.  The metering area is determined by the lens attached
and not be the preselector lever.  All it does is show you the area that a
certain lens would cover if attached.  The area metered is about 1/3 of the
area covered by the lens.  Too bad Eastland had it wrong, that would have
been really useful.

Dick Hemingway
Plano, TX

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Metering question)