Subject: [Leica] Re: M3 DS Mutilation
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 13:29:20 -0500

Jeff Moore wrote:

> Nooooo!  I keep watching in horror as the remaining stocks of DS M3s
> dwindle through both natural tragedies and the unnatural act of
> converting them to SS.  The DS wind mechanism is a thing of such
> sensual, smooth perfection it's a crime to trash it just to add to the
> huge population of single-stroke Ms out there.  Really.  People who
> have DS bodies and wish they had SS bodies should sell the DS bodies,
> un-mutilated, and buy replacement SS bodies.
>
> I keep waiting for my Macintosh tube amp to need service so I can have
> it converted to transistor...

 I couldn't agree more.  My M3 DS is the most beautifully machined object I
have ever owned -- and I have had mint Rolleiflex TLRs, Martin Guitars, and
Post Versalog slide rules (as well as K&E Log Log Duplex Decitrigs).  The
winding mechanism is unparalleled. (As is the shutter damping -- DAG says
that this is the quietest of the M's, and that the damping mechanism is
unique.)  It may not be the most expensive of the M models out there, but I
am convinced that it is the best.  I will never alter or sell mine.

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com