Subject: [Leica] can't catch me in a contradiction...
From: Kyle Cassidy <cassidy@netaxs.com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2001 17:44:54 -0500 (EST)

tim s., thinking i'd made some conflicting statements
asked:

>Kyle, how do you reconcile the below?
>
>On 7 Feb 2001, at 1:23, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
>
>> last summer i tried to photograph some chess players in washington
>> square park, one guy jumped up and clapped his hand over my camera
>> lens and another guy started shrieking at me -- the guy with his hand
>> over my lens said "you better get out of here now, some of these guys
>> are crazy."
>
>On 7 Feb 2001, at 1:46, Kyle Cassidy wrote:
>
>> rule #2:
>>  don't be afraid to ask, everybody wants to have their photograph
>>  taken.
>>
>> so go ahead and make friends. it never hurts.

however, i reconciled the two right there in the first post, you just
didn't quote it:

"there's something to be said for getting to know your subjects before you
photograph them. i guess if i wanted to really do it, i should have spent
a week there without my camera first."

it's all about trust -- given enough time, even the most skittish come
around. and there's definately a difference between "asking" a photo and
"taking" a photo. you have to know when to do each.

kc