Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: DOF
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2001 17:53:38 -0800

John Collier wrote:

> And if you print the negatives full frame to an 8x10, do you get the same
> DOF? You most certainly will get different image sizes on the print.
>
> I will put it even simpler.
>
> If John Collier follows your advice and wants to know what DOF he can expect
> out of a 45mm lens focused at 3 meters in a full negative 8x10 print. You
> are saying it is completely irrelevant if I make the negative with either a
> G2/45mm, a Mamiya 7/43mm or large format/45mm Grandagon-N?
>
> Just curious,
>
> John Collier

Magnification would have to be the issue.

In a huge print or the edges of DOF are going to be more noticeable.
The more magnification the print goes though the more something that was
"slightly soft but no big deal"
In a small print and magnification
does become "A BIG DEAL."
in a large print  of large magnification.
As a 30x40" from a 35mm neg is a 30x magnification
and from a 4x5" neg is only a 7.5 magnification.
You'd be about to get away with more on that large neg.
Am i wrong on this? I think not.
But dying to find out.

mark rabiner

Replies: Reply from "Rob Heyman" <rheyman@bigpond.net.au> (Re: [Leica] Re: DOF)