Subject: Re: [Leica] M-mount Bessa-R
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 22:36:58 -0500

Dante Stella jotted down the following:

> The Bessa-R is designed as a fun way for Cosina to sell its LTM lenses
> (which are most likely a lot more profitable than the bodies).  If it made
> an M mount camera, people would just buy used Leica lenses.  It seems like
> it would be a bad business decision.

And what would stop them from (a) producing lenses in an M-mount, or (b)
selling their LTM lenses with adators?

> And what would it be?  Just a cheaper, louder, more plastic version of an
> M6 that would lack the RF capabilities of even a 0.58.

And your point is?  The key word here is "cheaper".  A lot of photo students
might like the idea of a well-designed rangefinder camera for taking "people
shots" with good quality Cosina lenses without having to pay more for the
camera body than they did for their car.

The Bessa-R is an increadibly fun camera to use.  I wouldn't hesitate to
take it anywhere, which would allow me to get shots I would never be able to
get with a much more expensive Leica.  I think a Bessa-M would be absolutely
great.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       |     It is essentially contestable.
email: howard.390@osu.edu         |