Subject: [Leica] M-mount Bessa-R
From: goldman@math.umn.edu
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 17:25:54 -0600 (CST)

	I would be the first kid on the block to get one.
	I donıt feel any compulsion to buy the mentioned lenses (I own a
perfectly good skinny TE).  I would feel very compelled to buy a camera
that weighs at least  a HALF POUND less than my M5 and Hexar RF, has a big
bright viewfinder and a nice fell for a light camera (the Bessa R), and
WOULD MOUNT my 35 Summicron M and my 50 Summicron. It means an outfit that
would be used a lot.  Weight and a good viewfinder are two of the most
importand criteria for me.  		Of course I would not run to give
up the M5 or the RF.  Experience would decide what I would keep.
Jay
- -----------------

³ From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Subject: Re: [Leica] M-mount Bessa-R

I think I would ask why they would bother.

The Bessa-R rangefinder would be incapable of handling some of the lenses
that compel people to buy Leicas: the 75/1.4, 90/2.8, 90/2, 135s, etc.

The Bessa-R is designed as a fun way for Cosina to sell its LTM lenses
(which are most likely a lot more profitable than the bodies).  If it made
an M mount camera, people would just buy used Leica lenses.  It seems like
it would be a bad business decision.

And what would it be?  Just a cheaper, louder, more plastic version of an
M6 that would lack the RF capabilities of even a 0.58. ³