Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus and DOF!
From: "Mark_E_Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 09:12:50 -0800

The manual focus facility on the G2 is very useful for scale focussing,
either when you are working with a DOF table (god-forbid) to do landscape
photographs, or for presetting a distance for quick street photography. By
depressing the focus lock button on the back of the camera as you turn the
manual focus wheel on the front,  a read-out of the focus distance appears
in the viewfinder. A common application for distant landscapes or aerial
photography is to preset the distance to infinity, as it is sometimes hard
to get the AF to focus on infinity (the G2 has one horizontal AF sensor, and
it's painful to get it focus on the horizon or wispy clouds.)

Using G2 manual focus with the electronic focus confirmation is a little
more tricky. The camera manual does not explain exactly how the focus
confirmation works. My experiments indicate that focus is confirmed whenever
the distance set with the wheel is inside the DOF interval of the target
point, using the DOF table for the widest aperture of the selected lens.
(The G2 knows which lens you have mounted, but not which aperture is
selected.)  For serious photography this is not what you want: you want to
set the focus at a precise point (for example on a particular blossom or
part of person's face) so that you know how the DOF will extend in front of
and behind.

So what I do is find the distance to the desired focus point using the SAF
autofocus mode, and then transfer the distance to manual focussing via scale
focussing.

Sometime I would love to hear a Contax engineer explain the intended use of
the G2's manual focus with electronic focus confirmation. I would trade it
in a heart beat for a real focus lock (which would remember the current
autofocus setting and park the lens there.) Or better yet, give us a G3 with
a real optical rangefinder and lenses with DOF scales.

Mark Davison
Seattle WA