Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 21:47:19 -0400

Guy Bennett wrote:

> >Never be surprised by fabulous photos produced by a G2 - It has only
> >three real drawbacks - the fastest lenses available for it are f2;
> >despite what Kyocer calls it, it does NOT have real manual focus; it has
> >a limited number of lenses available. But the lenses it does have are
> >terrific, and it has some great features...
> >
> >B. D.
>
> Isn't the G2 manual focus the same as that of the old Contax rangefinders?
> It is mounted on the front of the body, not on the lens, as it was with the
> IIIa/IIIb of yore. If it is different, does anyone know how?
>
> Guy
though the wheel for manual focus is in the same place a s the contax 2,s and
3s etc. that is where the similarity ends.  The Contax G2 focusing wheel does
not move the lens it does manually what the autofocus does.  It electronicly
determins the correct in focus position for the lens in relation to the film
and when the shutter is pushed the lens moves out to the correct point.  So
even though you can set the focus distance manualy the camera still moves the
lens electronically and you still have the same lag in the release.  About the
only use the so called manual focus on the Contax G2 is when the auto focus
fails to work.  A great boon but I cannot imagine anyone wanting to shoot with
the Contax in the manual focus mode as prefered method of using the camera.
One uses the Leica for that.
John Shick

Replies: Reply from "Mark_E_Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com> (Re: [Leica] G2 manual focus and DOF!)