Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Help on loupes, leica loupe
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:22:41 -0800

Gwpics@aol.com wrote:

> In my opinion it is worth spending as much as you can on a loupe as it is the
> 'other end' to your taking lens. You will happily spend a lot of money to get
> the best optics available for your Leica camera, and process your film to the
> optimum. Therefore to skimp on the loupe and try to judge the quality of your
> images through a cheap loupe is, IMHO, a very false economy. Try looking at
> the Schneider range. I have a lovely Horseman which is Japanese and will
> virtually cover a 6x6 slide.
>
> Gerry
>
> Gerry Walden (UK)

I strongly agree Loupes are not to be takin lightly.
Don't skimp on your Loupes!
You can always screw up your print...but you'll always have that negative!!
When in the darkroom, when I'm printing from certain neg. I'd like to know ahead
of time if I've just missed my focus or it there is a touch of cameras or
subject movement.
A nice quality Loup does this.
And i get around to projecting my slides less and less.
All my color work gets seen through that loupe interphase!
But i have not found a Loup to match a 50mm AI 1.4 Nikkor turned upside down
with a nice hole in the back cap for my eyeball.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)