Subject: [Leica] Re:135/4 Tele Elmar
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:18:29 -0800

I have a chance to buy one of the above - marked Leitz Wetzlar s/n 2046147
complete with what look like original caps and clip on lens hood (the one
with a black material lining).

I'm not planning to do anything exotic with it  (cant afford three
teleconverters anyway :-))  except maybe bring distant detail a bit closer
or pick interesting parts of a scene.

I would appreciate your input on likely image quality, any handling
oddities,  and idea of age,

TIA

Regards

Clive Sanbrook

Clive, I have one of those, s/n 2384***. I got it to replace the 135/2.8
which was too heavy. I use it on an M3 and it focuses pretty easily with the
big viewfinder image on the M3. The lens is very sharp. Brian Bower says it
is "virtually an APO wide open". DOF is narrow at f4. I prefer using it at
5.6 or 8. It takes the common 39mm filters and hoods. Try it on a tripod to
test your focus .

Regards, Bill Lawlor