Subject: Re: [Leica] IROOA on a IIIF (aka Picture Funnel)
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 18:00:24 -0800

At 7:12 PM -0500 2/14/01, Stephen Alred wrote:
>The Picture Funnel piqued my interest.  I have a "barn door" shade
>(SOOFM) that's in good shape, functional, and everything, but it
>never seems to get put on the lens (50mm TM collapsible Summicron)
>because, well, it's a barn door.  Before I plunge for a Picture
>Funnel, though, I'm curious if the Funnel blocks the viewfinder on a
>IIIf in any significant way.  (Moreso than the vented shade on my
>35mm M-Summicron, say).  Any Funnel owners have an opinion?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Steve Alred
>Croom, Marylan

Yes it does block the view. The vented shade is definitely the best
in use. I've had all three, and while the vented shade allows picture
elements to escape through the back, it allows some of those elements
to flow right to the viewfinder, providing the user the joyful
experience of seeing more of what he's taking a picture; even the
barndoor works better than the picture funnel, as it has a decent
leak near the top, and the flaps are angled correctly. The only thing
in this line that is of less use IMHO are some of the built-in shades
that only extend a centimeter, and collapse in on the lens as soon as
anything more massive than a photon hits them.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com