Subject: Re: [Leica] self-timers for M?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 21:36:14 -0500

At 05:29 PM 2/14/2001 -0800, george day wrote:
>Does anyone know if it's possible to use some sort of a self-timer
>attachment with M6s?
>
>And, why on Earth did Leica stop using self-timers with, if I'm correct, the
>M3? Such a simple and rarely used, but, when needed, oh-so-handy tool.

This has been discussed here in detail before this.  Leica ceased using the
self-timer on the M1 in 1959 but, for the mainstream camera, on the M4-2 in
1978.  The space previously occupied by the self-timer, it says here, is
now used for the battery on the M6.

The Leitz purist would use an APDOO timer with an OZTNO adapter.  A less
elegant solution is to use either a self-timer cable as produced under the
"Prontor" brand by Albert Gauthier of Calmbach (but, purists, be warned:
Gauthier IS OWNED BY ZEISS, that auld rival!) or a screw-in auxiliary
self-timer as produced by HAMA and a zillion other firms.

Me?  I use the APDOO and OZTNO.  But, then, as I've often been accused on
this List, I AM a contrarian of the first water.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!

Replies: Reply from Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net> (RE: [Leica] self-timers for M?)