Subject: Re: [Leica] Price of an M3?
From: "Juan J. Buhler" <jbuhler@pdi.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 11:49:20 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 15 Feb 2001, Martin Howard wrote:

> Oh dear, we learnt nothing from our previous question? ;) ;)

Many things. Most of which I didn't want to know :-)

> The black stuff (usually called "vulcanite") is often chipped around the

Vulcanite. Yes. It was late at night, and my non-English speaking past
kicked in. I can live without it on the back door, and the chips
elsewhere are negligible.

> Difficult to say what the "bright streak" in the rangefinder patch is.  If
> it's separation or desilvering it's gonna be expensive to repair.  Can you
> give a better description of it?

Is not a bright streak, but some kind of particle (or desilvering)
that seems to be on the mirror. Doesn't bothering focusing too much,
though.

> As for the lenses, you want to check them for fungus or haze.  Get a small
> flashlight and shine through the lens.  You're definately going to see stuff
> in there, but as long as you don't see anything organic, or a milky-white,
> uniform haze, you should be OK.  [Eh, brainfart -- I just check your message
> again and you say you've made test shots with them.  Forget what I just
> wrote!]  Both the 'cron and the 35 summaron are nice lenses: Which Summaron
> is it, the E39 mount or the earlier A36?

No fungus, just the damage on the coating. I don't know how to
identify the two mounts you mention, I'll check in the web, but the
lens mounted on a 39mm Zorki mount, and focusing was accurate (I get
the feeling that the A36 is also 39mm?). The lens is coated,
s/n 1018xxx, FWIW.

> As for reasonable prices, get a copy of Shutterbug and browse the
> ads in the back.  Make an estimate of the condition of the lenses
> and see what comparable stuff goes for and use that as a basis for
> making an offer.

OK, thanks very much for your help. I'm trying to convince myself that
I have to go with this plus a M4-2 a local shop has for $850. Don't
you guys have a "Gear Purchase Enabling Service" as the people in the
Pentax list have? Those guys are great in making up your mind towards
the accumulation of cameras and lenses.

 Juan J. Buhler | FX Animator @ PDI | http://www.crosswinds.net/~jbuhler