Subject: Re: [Leica] Banff & incident meter
From: "Ted Grant" <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 08:09:49 -0800

Frank Dernie wrote:

> [...]
likely to fool the assumptions inherent in using any reflective meter.<<<<

Hi Frank,

So true!

The first camera to make me believe an in-camera meter was accurate was the
M5, prior to that I never shot anything without an incident meter and rarely
ever had bad exposures under the wildest light conditions. Simple operation,
read the light falling on the subject and away you go... click, click wham
bam thank you ma'am!

Yep today I use M6 and R8 cameras and they are on the mark 99.9999999% of
the time. However! Sometimes the old incident light meter twitch comes to
play and out it comes..sort of a huggie bear blanket left over from being a
kid. :-) Or maybe a soother, well the single malt takes the place of the
soother today. ;-)

But an incident meter is a truly good thing to have in ones bag anytime,
even if you only use it once a year, but that once may be the best time! As
that one time may save your butt!

I realize these days there will be umpteen dozen rebuttals claiming it isn't
that simple as there are many variables etc etc etc etc etc..

Damn I must be getting paranoid at posting ! Like I don't care what anyone
says when I put years of experience against the book learners any day! ;-)
Keep it simple stupid, as rarely,  note guys "rarely,"  do you have to be
concerned with an incident reading being completely off target!
ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant