Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 28mm FD and Nomex suit
From: Wilfred VonDauster <vondauster@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 11:24:37 -0700

Hi All,

Bill Lawlor wrote:

> Nevertheless, I am a Leica user today and I still have a Canon FD kit with
> lenses that seem as sharp as the Lietz lenses but do not compare in
> contrast. I think the best one can get from that kind of test is an
> appreciation of  how good some Canon, Nikon, ******, lenses are.

No reason to done that flame suit, Bill. In my experience, the top lenses in
most lines produce top image quality, some even better than the equivalent
Leica lens. I use Canon EOS, as well as Leica, professionally at the moment,
and find both systems have their advantages. Canon has better flash (in the EX
systems), has lighter bodies and lenses, is faster to focus and handles better.
Leica (R8) is slightly stronger built, quieter, and in the case of the M system
not as battery dependent.

As for lens contrast; everything else being equal I prefer slightly lower
contrast lenses. Since my production stream is entirely digital after the image
is captured on film, this involves scanning. I find I can easily increase the
contrast of an image in Adobe Photoshop, but if the image scan is too
contrasty, the opposite is seldom workable.

Will von Dauster