Subject: [Leica] Re: 28mm FD and Nomex suit
From: "Bill Lawlor" <wvl@infinex.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 21:07:38 -0800

Anywway, I think buying the 28mm Canon
FD for your AE1 Program as a stopgap measure sounds like a great idea.
And, after you see the results, you can let me know how it performed.

Actually, I did a test of this kind a few years ago. I bulk loaded two rolls
of Konica Impressa 50. (The finest grain and sharpest color neg film). I
borrowed an M6 with 28mm 2.8 (Elmarit?) and set it up on a tripod. I shot at
at all stops against a brick building and then repeated the same test with a
Canon A1 and 28mm/2.8 lens. After processing I picked the sharpest negs
(5.6) from each roll and enlarged them to 11X14 using a 50/2.8 El Nikkor in
a Beseler 45. I couldn't tell the difference and neither could anybody else
I asked. They did suggest "Leicas are optimized for b&w", "Leicas are
optimized for Kodachrome", "Leicas are optimized for Focotar enlarging
lenses", and a few other comments not appropriate for this family list.
Nevertheless, I am a Leica user today and I still have a Canon FD kit with
lenses that seem as sharp as the Lietz lenses but do not compare in
contrast. I think the best one can get from that kind of test is an
appreciation of  how good some Canon, Nikon, ******, lenses are.

Donning the Nomex,

Bill Lawlor

Replies: Reply from Wilfred VonDauster <vondauster@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Re: 28mm FD and Nomex suit)