Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Leica Users digest V19 #138
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2001 18:33:43 -0800

Simon Ogilvie wrote:

> > I'm investigating adding MF to my Leicas adn thinking of the Mamiya 7 or
> > Fuji GW series. I find the Mamiya's bokeh a little too unlike my Leicas for
> > me. Has anyone got experience with the Fiji?
>
> I've owned and used two of the Fuji's and I now own a Mamiya 7 outfit.
> I'm not going to get into the argument over who makes the best lenses
> as they are both extremely good!  However, there's no doubt in my mind
> that the Mamiya 7 (and 6) cameras are far superior to the Fuji 670/690's.
> The new AF Fuji's are better built and specified than the 670/690 but
> they are all 6x4.5 format.  The rangefinders on the M6 and M7 are very
> close to being as good as the Leica's (heresy!), and obviously having
> interchangeable lenses and light meters are big advantages.  I also
> use 5x4 equipment occasionally, although increasingly only for when I
> need perspective control, as the Mamiya gives me sufficient quality in
> a much more portable and easy to use package.  The quality of the results
> I got from my Fujis was just as good, but the shooting experience is more
> akin to using a Voigtlander Bessa L than a Leica M6...
>
> Simon.

The Bronica 645 rangefinder just hit CameraWorld this week.
I've got my eye on it.
Design wise i think it makes the Mamiya look like an inflated toy.
It is MUCH more compact and i think these guys know how to make a decent lens.
645 excites me.
32 shots on a roll of 220 brownie film excites me.

Mark Rabiner
Portland, Oregon
USA
updated temporary Website by "Foxy": http://spokenword.to/rabiner/
(consisting of late night E-mail descriptions of photos)