Subject: [Leica] Re: 'Upgrading' from R7 to R6.2 or R8
From: Ray Moth <ray_moth@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 21:53:09 -0800 (PST)

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

They aren't alone.  Even Leica management admitted last year that
they got it wrong when it came to the bulkiness of their design.

Presumably they inflated the camera size because they wanted to
leave themselves lots of interior room for future expansion without
having to retool the world.  Good idea really - but they went too far.

For those of us with normal-to-small sized hands the bloated R8
body just cannot be hand-held comfortably and _safely_.  Impossible.

> Of course, they were all Nikon and Canon users and their attitude
> changed when I showed them that I could lift the R8 with only one
> hand! ;-)

Only if they have hands the size of flippers.  ;?)
Actually, Andrew, I was kidding - but you have to admit the Canon EOS
1V is a bit of a monster, compared with the Leica R8 (or almost
anything else, for that matter).

I happen to find the R8 a bit easier and more comfortable to hold than
the R7. The weight difference is only 200 grams or so and that isn't a
lot considering how much some of the R lenses weigh. My hands and
fingers are not long, BTW, but they are wide (read 'fat').

Regards,

=====
Ray