Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: Hewes reels revisited
From: Jim Brick <jim_brick@agilent.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:36:51 -0800

Having loaded tens of thousands of rolls in Nikor, Kinderman, Hewes, and
even brand-x stainless reels (don't ever buy brand-x) I can say that there
is a "feel" that happens between your hand turning the reel, the reel, the
hand with the film, and the film itself. Sort of a catalytic operation.

As you turn the reel with one hand, you gently "push" the film with the
other. When the turn stops, a very gentle push-pull on the film while the
reel is held stationary, will tell you that the film is not bound-up. The
film should feel oh so very slightly loose. If this is so, then move the
reel hand up the reel and the film hand down the film a little, and repeat.

The important thing is that the film feels oh so slightly loose at all
times. And it helps to very gently push the film at the same time that you
are turning the reel. This keeps everything aligned and in its proper slot.
And not kinked.

It has taken years to actually attain the feel. The feel that the film is

Not long ago, I started using my new JOBO. I haven't loaded plastic reels
in years. After much cursing, I finally got the film in the damn thing.
I've processed about 40 rolls so far, a mix of B&W, E6, and C41 stuff. So
far, so good. Actually, I finally got the hang of the plastic reels but I
much prefer stainless steel.

Good luck,

Jim

NO UV