Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 2-hour lab
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 11:30:52 -0600

>> I don't think a two hour lab is a valid test.  It is more of a russian
>> roulette.
>>
>> andy
>

>Well, you're probably right.  Although, in my favor, this is a lab that I've
>used consistently for ages (as they give me great negatives, and have yet to
>scratch one), so I have a pretty strong idea of what their standards are.
>
>I suppose I'll try another roll and take it to one of the pro shops.

When you do this talk to the person who does the printing if possible and
tell them you are doing a test. You want standard filtration for both
(all) the films you test. Shoot the same scene with all of them. Take
them all to the same lab at the same time. Start with contacts. Then do a
8X10 print from each. Tell them you are testing again. this is important!
If you are real lucky you will find someone who can actually give you a
valid opinion about color neg films since they print them everday.

What you can get this way is more standard conditions that make your test
meaningful. Running your stuff through a minilab introduces lots of
possibilites for error that you can mistake for a significant difference
in film performance.

Henry