Subject: Re: [Leica] Tricks to loading reels
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:46:08 -0500

Mark (and Marc!)
I have always kept the little film cans- I even have some of the metal ones
left, and keep my film in it before and after it goes through the camera.
Since I had for years, and still occasionally reload my own cartridges, and
re-used them, I spared no effort to keep the felt clean and even today, blow
out the cartridge and the felt lips before I reload, and have never, so far
(and knock on wood) had a scratching problem.
When working in the lab, since our machines drew the film from the cassette
directly, I would also warn my customers to keep the film insde thcan when
exposed, and that it would be less likely to pick up grit and dirt from the
bottom of a camera bag or pocket!
I have seen a few rolls of photos to the beach and Disney World scratched
because the camera or film was idly tossed into a beach bag, and the felt
picked up enough grit to make very noticable scratches on the film!
Also- since film can be sensitive to hydrocarbon fumes- very prevealent
around the cars we use, the airtight can serves another purpose as well!

Dan (right down to the real nitty-gritty!) Post