Subject: Re: [Leica] C-41 negative material for B&W
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@telalink.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 21:14:55 -0600

Mark Rabiner  wrote:
>There is much talk of increased scannablity of the C41 black and white
>films but this has not been succinctly demonstrated.
You're usually right - but not this time.
It's a fact about XP2 and T400CN. They scan better.
Those dye clouds let light through to the CCDs and give a much finer
result than any conventional 400 film for scanning. Silver particles are
opaque. You'll get varying degrees of artifacts around them and the grain
is often exaggerated. Finer grain films to a lesser extent.
>It makes sense that if one gets rid of his darkroom printing why bother with
>making the negs as well.
>XP2 is great stuff but will it replace Neopan 1600 in Xtol?? Delta 100 in
>Xtol? or even Delta 400.
>Not for me. I'd rather run it myself and control it's output and know it's
>going
>to last.
Now you're talking.
C41 B&W films are not a replacement for conventional flims.
They're in addition too those films. A new flavor.

Henry
CAN I HAVE CHOCOLATE SAUCE ON MY ICE CREAM?

Replies: Reply from "onetreehillclw" <onetreehillclw@compaq.net> (Re: [Leica] C-41 negative material for B&W)