Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux (from Canada or Germany?)
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 13:55:44 -0000

Dr H

The question does begged to be asked, so I will ask it - why does the
country of manufacture matter to you?  Is this merely an issue of interest
or does manufacture in Germany suggest a better quality product?  I have had
no problems with my Canadian Noctilux, and I believe it was Ted Grant who
stood proudly behind the Made in Canada marking 9as indeed he should, it is
an excellent piece of precision engineering).

Simon

Dr H L Lau wrote:

> After the ELCAN plant was sold to Raytheon in 1998, it was believed that
the production of
> the 75mm Summilux and the Noctilux would be moved to Solms; Stephan Gandy
on his
> website also stated this "expectation".  So far the "new" German-made 75mm
Summilux has
> appeared (order no. changed from 11815 to 11810, same optical design, but
a slightly
> different mechanical design in the helicoid resulting in some 40g
reduction in weight).
> But the German-made Noctilux has yet to come, at least as far as a
> newly-shipped-in-from-Solms Noctilux (which my friend bought from the
respectable Dr
> Joseph Yao a couple of weeks ago) went -- it was "made in Canada".  My
Noctilux bought
> last year (serial no. 3814xxx, which includes the signed Test Certificate
introduced in late
> 2000) was also made in Canada.
> One speculation was that Leica is just selling the unsold stock from
ELCAN. This is an
> interesting topic to follow, especially now when all Leica M lenses are
supposedly made in
> Germany.  The recent thread on LUG concerning the 35-75 mm f/2.8
Vario-Elmarit-R ASPH