Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux (from Canada or Germany?)
From: "Simon Lamb" <simon@sclamb.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 16:06:10 -0000

I did hear that there were far more Noctilux lens barrels, rings etc. made
with the Made in Canada stamp on them that were actually used.  If
production has moved back to Solms, it is not inconceivable that they may be
using up the stock of casings already produced rather than re-manufacture
just for the sake of changing the wording on the barrel.

Just a thought.

Simon

Stephen Gandy wrote:

> According to Elcan about a year ago, all Leica Lens production had already
been
> moved to Germany.
>
> If your new Nocts are Canadian, it would seem either production was moved
back to
> Canada, or it is old production just being sold (more likely in my
opinion).
> Check with Elcan, they actually answer email !
>
> Stephen Gandy
>
> "Dr. Joseph Yao" wrote:
>
> > Horace,
> >
> > All the Noctilux, up to the ones I received two weeks ago, are still
> > Canadian, although they all had the Leica Solms issued 'Test
Certificate'.
> > I have never seen a German Noctilux.  Has any LUGgers?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Joseph
> >
> > on 26/2/01 8:57 PM, Dr H L Lau at shllau@hkusua.hku.hk wrote:
> >
> > > After the ELCAN plant was sold to Raytheon in 1998, it was believed
that the
> > > production of
> > > the 75mm Summilux and the Noctilux would be moved to Solms; Stephan
Gandy on
> > > his
> > > website also stated this "expectation".  So far the "new" German-made
75mm
> > > Summilux has
> > > appeared (order no. changed from 11815 to 11810, same optical design,
but a
> > > slightly
> > > different mechanical design in the helicoid resulting in some 40g
reduction in
> > > weight).
> > > But the German-made Noctilux has yet to come, at least as far as a
> > > newly-shipped-in-from-Solms Noctilux (which my friend bought from the
> > > respectable Dr
> > > Joseph Yao a couple of weeks ago) went -- it was "made in Canada".  My
> > > Noctilux bought
> > > last year (serial no. 3814xxx, which includes the signed Test
Certificate
> > > introduced in late
> > > 2000) was also made in Canada.
> > > One speculation was that Leica is just selling the unsold stock from
ELCAN.

Message from Stephen Gandy <Stephen@CameraQuest.com> (Re: [Leica] Noctilux (from Canada or Germany?))